Up until now--a senior required Shakespeare class at Clemson University for all English majors--my only experience with Shakespeare was through the character Bugs Bunny in his cartoon rendition of Hamlet, www.youtube.com/watch?AWRZut6klgEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DmkcoSsuHk, which is actually really funny and true to Shakespeare. I still remember the lines-- neither a Borrower (or as a kid I said Barber) nor a lender be do not forget stay out of debt.
The first lesson I learned when I undertook to read Much Ado About Nothing: reading Shakespeare requires a very focused and specialized field of knowledge. I am strongly against the retelling of such a wonderful comedy by such a greenhorn as I or anyone else for that matter of An examination of the weirdness of words within is perhaps a better method of discovery, Let's face it, anyone can access volumes of information which attempts to unravel the clever word play used in the text.
According to Frank Kermode in on line article (http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/k/kermode-language.html, "Generations of scholars have answered the challenge, and a lot is now known about the companies and audiences, about prompt books and parts, about acting styles and conventions, about contemporary fashions and contemporary censorship, even about which actors played what roles."
Taking all the above into consideration--a thorough mining of the weirdness in act 1 gleans these items. The first lines spoken by Shakespeare's character Leonato show humor to be an important factor in this play-- when the character Leonato asks the messenger "How many gentleman have you lost by this action?" This sort of clever style of humor flows throughout the play. Another odd pearl of weirdness is found when we see the amount of witty banter between Beatrice and Benedick. These techniques seem to beg the question of the status of relationships between men and women. My favorite line is her mocking reply “I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow than a man swear he loves me,” (I.i.107–108). Beatrice shows her superficial disdain for men and marriage.
Beatrice it would appear and according to the essay "The Legal Status of Women" had a certain power or influence women of this period may or may not have possessed. Throughout the entire Act the audience is exposed to a taste of humor--clever, dry, and intelligent.
In closing, its clear from the start of this play--reading a play is a far cry from seeing the play.
No comments:
Post a Comment